Do you love reading aloud to your students? We do too! It is one of our favorite times of the day. It is a time when we come together as a class and escape into a fantasy world for a short period. Our students instantly become mesmerized by the stories.
- We love watching their faces change as the plot thickens.
- We love making them wait as we slowly turn the page during intense moments.
- We love listening to their laughter during the silly parts.
- Most of all, we love modeling a love for reading. It is a time for us to show students that reading is fun and magical.
After the Common Core was adopted, we started teaching more rigorously in our classrooms. We started to let our read aloud time diminish. We found we were skipping our read-aloud time too often. We started noticing our students were losing their motivation to read during independent reading time. They weren't racing to the bookshelf to pull out class favorites or fighting over the most recent book we read as a class. There simply weren't enough class favorites to choose from. We realized we needed to make read-aloud time a priority again and set aside that sacred few minutes every day.
Tatum, Emily, and I (TheCoreCoaches) discussed this problem and together. We decided we could solve our issue of limited time by infusing core standards into our read-alouds. We realized in order to read with a purpose, not on the fly, we would need to plan ahead and write mini-lessons. We brainstormed effective ways we could meet core standards during our read-alouds and decided the following:
- Extend the read-aloud over a few days to allow time to dig deeper and cover multiple standards
- Read closely by revisiting the text with a different purpose each day
- Ask text dependent questions that require kids to refer to the text to provide evidence for their answers
- Include a graphic organizer that reinforces the purpose
- Incorposrate a writing component
- Integrate art
We came up with a year's plan of teaching to the core one read-aloud at a time by using free books from our Scholastic book orders.
We are so excited to share our read aloud activities that meet the core standards with you.
We are teaching the Core One Read Aloud at a Time!
Click Here to visit our TPT store to check out over 40 individual read-alouds packs, 9 monthly packs, and 1 year long bundle.
- The Core Coaches